Saturday, February 6, 2016
Delegate Dana Stein of the 11th District was recognized at PVFC's 119th Annual Banquet for the assistance he has provided to the company over the past several years, including with securing bond funding in the 2015 legislative session for our firehouse renovation project.
Saturday, February 6, 2016
Congratulations to Pikesville Volunteer Fire Company Life Member Stu Carter, who at last night's 119th Annual Company Banquet was honored for his 51 years of active firefighting service. Stu was recognized as being a "Leader, Teacher, Innovator and Mentor" for dozens of firefighters over more than five decades. Stu, who joined PVFC in August 1964, has held many company leadership positions, including Captain and President, as well as with the Maryland State Firemen's Association.
Saturday, January 30, 2016
Shortly before 7 am on Saturday, January 30, 2016, firefighters on Baltimore County's westside including Pikesville Volunteer Fire Company Engine 321 were alerted for a house on fire (Fire Box 18-1) in the 3000 block of Rusty Rock Road in Randallstown. First-arriving BCoFD Engine 18, responding from quarters two blocks away, reported heavy smoke and fire in a vacant 2-story house. A Working Fire Dispatch (bringing PVFC Tower 323) and two additional engines were quickly requested to the scene as firefighters utilized exterior operations to fight the fire. The fire was brought under control after firefighters battled temperatures less than 20 degrees for more than two hours.
Wednesday, December 16, 2015
On Wednesday morning December 16, Pikesville Volunteer Fire Company Squad 322 was alerted to respond on a motor vehicle collision with entrapment at Greenspring Avenue and Walnut Road (Box 50-02) in the Chestnut Ridge / Owings Mills area. First arriving units found a sedan that had collided with a dump truck, resulting the car's driver being significantly trapped. Crews began extrication efforts by removing the car's doors and roof; when the Squad arrived, the patient was still pinned by the driver door and dashboard. Squad 322 was assigned to assist with extrication, and utilized several hydraulic rescue tools. After using the cutters to remove part of the steering wheel, the Squad crew utilized the 33" spreader to lift the door while simultaneously using the 65" ram to displace the dashboard. This generated enough clearance to remove the patient from the vehicle, who was then treated by EMS crews and flown via Maryland State Police medevac helicopter to the R Adams Cowley Shock Trauma Center in downtown Baltimore for treatment.
Sunday, December 13, 2015
On Sunday evening, December 13, several members of the Pikesville Volunteer Fire Company joined the community for the last evening of Hanukkah, celebrating at The Chanukah House on Greenspring Avenue and lighting the menorah. Local children were able to climb aboard Pikesville's Engine 321, try on fire helmets and hear about firefighting from our members.
Did you know that Thanksgiving is
the peak day for home cooking fires across the country? The average number of
home fires on Thanksgiving Day is normally double the average number of fires
in homes all other days.
Here are some tips to help keep our
community safe and ensure everyone can have a happy and safe Thanksgiving!
• Stay in the kitchen when you are
cooking - frying, broiling or boiling - at high temperatures.
• Make your cooking area safe. Move things that can burn away from the stove.
Turn pot handles toward the back so they can’t be bumped.
• Watch what you’re cooking. Use a timer when roasting a turkey or baking.
• Be prepared. Keep a large pan lid or baking sheet handy in case you need to
smother a pan fire.
• Stay awake and alert while you’re cooking. If you see smoke or the grease
starts to boil in your pan, turn the burner off.
• Prevent burns. Wear short sleeves when you cook, or roll them up. Don’t lean
over the burner. Use potholders and oven mitts to handle hot cookware.
If you are frying a turkey this
Thanksgiving here are additional safety tips:
• Turkey fryers
can easily tip over, spilling hot cooking oil over a large area.
• An overfilled cooking pot will cause cooking oil to spill when the turkey is
put in, and a partially frozen turkey will cause cooking oil to splatter when
put in the pot.
• Even a small amount of cooking oil spilling on a hot burner can cause a large
• Without thermostat controls, deep fryers can overheat oil to the point of
starting a fire.
• The sides of the cooking pot, lid and pot handles can get dangerously hot.
Monday, November 16, 2015
Shortly after 130am on November 16, Pikesville Volunteer Fire Company was alerted with other westside units for a dwelling fire in the unit block of Shadwell Court in the Milford Mill area. As units called enroute, Fire Dispatch advised they were receiving multiple calls and there were possibly people trapped. BCoPD arrived with a "big fire" and occupants jumping out the 2nd floor windows. BCoFD Engine 3 (Woodlawn carer) arrived to find a middle of the group rowhome with fire showing from both floors and initiated a transitional attack. A working fire assignment and 2nd alarm were immediately requested. Squad 322 arrived behind BCoFD Truck 18 (Randallstown carer) on Side Charlie and immediately began to throw ladders to the second floor and roof, then proceeded to check the Bravo exposure for fire extension. After observing the firewall had done its job and held the fire to one unit, Squad 322's crew was reassigned to Division 2 of the main fire building and assisted crews with suppression and overhaul. The Squad was released around 0400.
Thursday, November 5, 2015
Pikesville Volunteer Fire Company Engine 321 and Tower 323 operated for several hours on a multiple alarm daytime fire in Towson on Thursday, November 5. BCoFD Engine 1 (Towson career station) initially responded for a reported Automatic Fire Alarm around 11:45am in the 1000 block of Rolandvue Avenue (Box 1-2). Upon their arrival, Engine 1 was met with heavy smoke showing from a large three story balloon frame structure that was built in the early 1900s and the officer immediately requested a full fire box assignment. Due to the size of the house, lack of fire apparatus access, and a stubborn moving fire; a second alarm was requested, bringing Pikesville's engine and tower, among other equipment, to the scene. PVFC's firefighters worked for hours, assisting with ladders, fire extinguishment, and various other tasks. During this fire Squad 322 ran multiple fire boxes and other calls while the Engine & Tower were committed in Towson.
Friday, October 16, 2015
Shortly before 6pm on Friday, October 16, Pikesville Volunteer Fire Company Engine 321 had just cleared a response for a non-emergency fire alarm when they responded with other westside units for a reported building fire at the Milford Mill Swim Club (Fire Box 3-13) on Milford Mill Road. First arriving units reported heavy fire and smoke showing from a 2-story vacant building, which was destroyed by the fire. The swim club has been vacant for many years.
Sunday, October 11, 2015
Congratulations to PVFC's Glenn Resnick, who was recently installed as President of the Baltimore County Volunteer Firemen's Association. Glenn is the 10th member of Pikesville VFC to serve as president of the BCVFA, which was organized in 1907. Upon taking office, Glenn was presented with an engraved gavel by PVFC Historians Sharon Bull and J. W. Berryman, Jr. on behalf of the membership of PVFC. Glenn has been a volunteer firefighter for 33 years, 31 of which have been spent at PVFC, including two stints as Captain (for 8 years and 7 years). He also served in multiple leadership and executive positions with BCVFA. Other BCVFA Past Presidents who were members of PVFC included Lee Sachs, (who served 2 consecutive terms), John W. Berryman, Sr., P.G. Zimmer, W. H. Smith, F. H. Newell, Charles R. Stallings, Wm. A. Chenowith, Howard Kellar and Smith Stathem. Additionally, five PVFC members received recognition at the annual BCVFA meeting for having 50 active LOSAP years of service - John W. Berryman Jr., Stu Carter, Michael W. Purcell, Everett W. Purkins, and Smith N. Stathem, Jr. During the annual Baltimore County Fire Service Memorial Service, the passing of two longtime PVFC members who died during the last year was recognized - William D. Cosden, Jr. and Norman W. Schilling.
Site designed and maintained by